Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Galaxy Bag

Galaxy Bag

I found this purse at a thrift store the other day for $1.50. 
There isn't anything really special about it, in fact a friend told me it looked like an old ladies purse, but it reminded me of Carries purse from The Carrie Diaries and I was instantly inspired. In this show a young girl, Carrie, wanted to wear her recently deceased mother’s purse to school as a reminder of her, but her younger sister had taken it and spilt fingernail polish on it. Carrie was initially upset but decided to roll with it and splash fingernail polish all over it and personalize it with her name. Her bag was an instant hit and caught the eye of a prominent fashion magazine and the first few episodes center around this bag.
            Instead of using fingernail polish, like Carrie, I decided to use acrylic paint and a galaxy print. I can’t show you exactly how to paint it because there was a lot of trial and error. I started with the darkest color of paint and I painted some little blotches on the bag and spread it out with a triangle face sponge. I then kept layering on lighter colors of blues and purples until I was satisfied. 
After that was dry I used white paint to scatter stars across this mini universe.
            I could have stopped there and been pleased with the final product but I decided to take it a bit further. I used a Prismacolor metallic silver pen to write the word ‘wanderlust,’ which means a strong desire or impulse to travel about, across the back of the bag. I finished it by taking the bag outside and spraying a thin coat of clear spray paint on it.This took the bag over the top and now I am beyond happy with how this purse turned out.
            This project only took about an hour to do and didn't require me to buy anything except for the $1.50 bag. For me it is perfect for shopping or school but as music festival season approaches this bag would be perfect and easy to do for those wanderers out there who wish to attend.

xoxo Anna Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment