Friday, June 7, 2013

Chair Makeover

So if you guys remember this ugly chair from a while back that I said would be featured later on, well here it is. 



I bought this chair from a thrift store for 5 dollars because I thought it was cool and retro. I then went back and bought a matching one, so I got 2 ugly chairs for 10 dollars. That's a pretty good deal. It was in really nice shape but I hated the color and fabric so I decided to reupholster it. I had never done this before so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had 2 huge rolls of material, one gray fake leather and the other grey upholstery fabric, that I had bought from a thrift store for 10 dollars each last year. I also had a roll of teal fabric that I had bought from the clearance fabric from Walmart for two dollars.



I didn't really know what I was doing so I started by unscrewing all the screws from the bottom. My tip here would be to take pictures of where the screws go to refer to when you're putting it back together. I didn't do this and ended up with two extra screws when I was done. Then I spray painted the metal part silver. Later, I took all the fabric off. I used this fabric as a template to trace around for my new pieces. Then I observed how it was sewn together in the first place and tried to copy it the best I could. I then put the fabric back on, stapled the bottom, and screwed the metal piece back on. It didn't come out perfect, I would never let a professional upholsterer sit on it, but I think it came out pretty good for my first piece of reupholstered furniture.






This isn't meant for a tutorial but more for an inspiration. It's so easy to find decent pieces of furniture at thrift shops, you just sometimes have to look deeper and see the potential. My sewing skills are barely average and my patience is almost non-existent, yet with a little perseverance I managed to create a beautiful piece of furniture.

I love this chair now. I looks good at my sewing desk and it inspires me to be more creative and to think outside the box. Once I get the other chair I bought finished, I think the pair would look wonderful sitting at a dining room table.

Photography by my beautiful sister Allie Joy

XOXO Anna Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment